Mental Health 

This week has been an important week in school for Social, emotional and mental health as it has been Children's Mental Health week.  Mental health affects around 1 out of 10 children and young people, and can be seen in many different ways.  It is important as a school that we make children aware of what mental health is and what they can do if the ever feel that need some help and support. At Waterside, Mental health is not something that we only promote during mental health week but all day, every day.  Mrs Mason is always there to help and support any child who may be going through a difficult time.  

Emotional well being is just as important as physical well being and it is something that we encourage parents to talk about with their children. Having good mental health will allow children to build in confidence and resilience.  

There are a number things that you can do to stay mentally healthy: 

  • Keep physically fit - it is proven that exercise helps us to feel better about our selves.  
  • Eating a balanced diet
  • Getting a good sleep each night
  • laughing and talking with friends
  • attending school regularly 
  • having a good support network - friends and family who you can trust
  • feeling loved and wanted


There are a number of factors that can result in problems with mental health. These may not necessarily cause mental health problems but they could cause children not to feel themselves. If you notice a change in your child's behaviour do not hesitate to contact us. 

What help is available? 

School is always here to talk to yourself and your child if you have any concerns. We have a nurture programme where we can help support children initially with their problems and help direct the child and parents to the right service. 

You can also help your child. Having an open relationship with your child will help them to talk through their issues with you.  Allow them to explain how they are feeling.  

Professional  help can also be sought.  A nurse, counsellor or educational psychologist may be able to help. You can also speak to your GP who may refer you to CAMHS - Child and Adolescent Mental Health service.  

Organisations that may be able to help include