At Waterside Primary School, we aim to provide a learning atmosphere which encourages curiosity, perseverance, open-mindedness, critical reflection and co-operation. We endeavour to provide a broad and balanced learning experience for all our pupils and, wherever possible, opportunities to develop skills and gain an understanding of science concepts through first-hand experience and practical work.
Our aims in teaching Science include:
- building on children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems;
- encouraging open-mindedness, self-criticism, perseverance and responsibility;
- preparing children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world;
- fostering concern about, and appreciation of, our environment;
- building children’s self-confidence to enable them to work independently and developing their social skills to work co-operatively with others;
- helping children to acquire a progressive understanding of scientific ideas;
- giving children the experience of scientific processes;
- helping children to acquire practical science skills;
- providing children with an enjoyable experience of Science, so that they will develop a deep and lasting interest and be motivated to study Science further.
Pupils will be given opportunities to:
- develop their understanding through systematic enquiry, using both first hand and secondary sources as appropriate;
- use ICT to collect, store, retrieve and present scientific information;
- relate their work in Science to everyday life;
- consider simple scientific ideas and the evidence for them and, collect evidence to test scientific ideas in a variety of ways;
- communicate scientific ideas and observations using appropriate scientific vocabulary;
- present information in a variety of ways including drawings, diagrams, tables and charts and in speech and writing; at key stage 2, pupils should also use standard units of measurement and include graphs to record and present information;
- consider health and safety in the context of their Science work and take action to control risks;
- find out about scientific ideas and theories based upon famous scientists from past or present.