Dear Parents/Carers ,
People who suffer from nut allergies can develop a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. If someone has a nut allergy it is not just eating nuts that can cause a severe reaction, just being touched on the skin or smelling the breath of someone who has had nuts or a product containing nuts can trigger anaphylactic shock (which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties).
First aid staff in the school are trained to use the Epi-pens (an injection of adrenalin) which is required immediately if this happens.
Due to the increasing number of people at Waterside Primary School with severe nut allergies, and our responsibility to ensure the health & wellbeing of all, we can longer have nuts in school in any form.
So please can we ask that you have no nut products in any lunch boxes or brought into the school as treats.
Peanut butter sandwiches
Some granola bars
Cakes/Cookies/Biscuits that contain nuts
Some Asian food, including satay Sauces that contain nuts.
This list is not exhaustive, so please check the packaging of products closely. We appreciate that this is an additional thing to check and we know that you recognise the importance of it. We do have to insist we are a nut free school. I know if this was your child you would expect that we all help, especially as it is a life-threatening condition.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff.